[LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Thu Aug 6 12:40:58 UTC 2009

Ralf Mardorf schrieb:
>>With knowledge you need half a day, for Windows people without knowledge need half an hour  ;) .
This is a wrong, you can be happy to have a basic windows system running
in a half hour without drivers and the important security bullshit
(because Microsoft cant get their act together). Then you start to hunt
down the proper drivers for your hardware and after that you install you
applications, it takes hours, with experience. I had to do it often for
Windows XP and doubt it got any better with Vista.

>> The best solution is buying a turn-key system, prepared for the heavy
>> duty of shifting audio bits in a defined time. But it shifts the 5
>> hours or more of labour and swearing to the seller and at least he or
>> she knows which hardware is in it, but work is still involved anyway.
>>

> I don't agree. Most people go the illegal way by using a crack of Cubase
> on Windows,
Thats why I am against using cracked software, it hurts open source and
just train the people for the expensive software packages like Photoshop
instead of Gimp. And then they show up on lists like this and says, that
all is easier on Windows or Mac, forgetting that they invest time in
learning the closed source plus they never installed a system from
scratch. When I was confronted with Windows the first time, it was
something like 3.1 or 3.11, I had to learn how to setup and administrate
it, the knowledge is not given for any system.

>in addition they install asio4all and that it is, everything
> most times is fine and they have much more possibilities than all Linux
> applications has got.

Interapplication audio and midi transmission? I have my doubts.
Professional applications for free? Barly legal I guess.
Complete control of the visual experience and its wasting of CPU cycles?
Dream on.

--
----
media art + development