[LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Aug 6 13:00:45 UTC 2009

On 08/06/2009 04:43 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> This is why I know so many people who never ever will use Linux, because
> of noise like yours Paul.

And your point is what exactly? That Paul should give a toss about those
people? That he or others on this list should just accept the continual
negative feedback from yourself and Gram? That Linux focused mailing
lists are is not suitable places for the people you know to get support
for technical issues?

I know lots of people who will never intentionally use Linux because
they don't know what it is.

I also know lots of people who will never use Linux because they can't
handle the pace and requirements that come with running a Linux Audio
system for professional use.

I also know lots of people who would rather pay me or someone else with
technical expertise to manage their system for them.

I also know lots of people who are unable or too cheap to pay me or
someone with technical  expertise to manage their system for them and
most of them still ask me for help at every opportunity.

Some anti Linux people like to promote the idea that Linux people are
less open to their needs than people on other platforms. It seems to me
that this attitude comes from a limited understanding of how the open
source community works.

It's a fairly simple concept. Basically anyone who is unable to help
themselves shouldn't use Linux unless they are prepared to learn how.
That includes learning how to communicate effectively to the people that
are putting in the effort to make things work.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd