[LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 6 10:26:22 UTC 2009

hermann wrote:
> Hi
>
> Yes, I don't understand why people mean linux audio is a mess, last
> day's I have setup a new box with debian/sid and it took me a half day
> to get a full featured rt audio/midi environment on the run. It's like
> always in life, if you wont to use a tool, you must know how it work's.
> There is no diff in this case to windos or mac. Only, when you have
> already learn how one tool works, may you don't wont to learn how a
> other tool work to receive the same results. So the price for the switch
> to linux is a small piece of your brain witch you must open for basic
> linux knowledge. :-)
>
> hermann

With knowledge you need half a day, for Windows people without knowledge
need half an hour ;). But comparisons like this are useless. The
conclusion that people started with Windows and don't know Linux isn't
true for the scene were I'm from. We started with the C64 etc. and then
we used Linux only and because of troubles with real-time audio some
switched to Windows. As an audio engineer on work I had to work with
Microsoft and Apple and less trouble, at home I'm using Linux with lot
of troubles.

Ralf