[LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 6 14:20:14 UTC 2009

Hi Alex :)

I'll take the next bus and will reply to this mail only because of the
68000 issue.

alex stone wrote:
> [snip]
> I owned several variations of boxes including
> an Amiga (best midi timing on the planet), and my much cherished but
> now dead Fairlight.

I started with the C64 and then used the Atari ST (not STe, not TT
etc.). I don't know the Amiga, but the Fairlight.
Amiga, Atari ST and Fairlight are based on the 68000.

As I've written before, I won't argue for an OSS, I don't use privately
and I've explained that there are cracks that do, what I've said. I
stopped replying to this topic.

The C64 and Atari ST don't have any noticeable jitter, I still have
those computers, but reasons not to use them any more.

Linux with my machine is a PITA for usage with external MIDI equipment.
I don't know if this is fine for Windows on my machine, in January I
installed Windows and some audio software, but until now I didn't test
if I do have jitter with Windows too, I only tried to fix it for my
Linux installs.

But I was writing because of the averaged user, not because of my
trouble. 64 Studio is the only good working alternative I know, other
audio distros don't take care about special problems, e.g. that some
systems will disconnect clients when using JACK1, for 64 Studio JACK2 is
default.

I'm able to configure my Suse etc. for rt-audio, an averaged user isn't
able to do this.

Maybe to be continued, better if not and I'm half off-line now ;).

Ralf