[LAD] rtirq script is broken with 2.6.31

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Aug 6 16:16:51 UTC 2009

Hi Rui et al,

I just found that recent kernel development (merging IRQ threads into
mainline) breaks the "rtirq" setup script. Basically rtirq does nothing.

The command to get the PID
 PIDS=`ps -eo pid,comm | egrep "IRQ.${IRQ}\$" | awk '{print $1}'`
(rtirq line 120) does no longer work since the IRQ process names have
changed.

I've quickly changed it to
  PIDS=`ps -eo pid,comm | egrep "irq\/${IRQ}-" | awk '{print $1}'`
and it sets the priorities again, but that's not correct since it also
raises priority of other drivers on the same IRQ..

Similarly `rtirq status` returns nothing. I've checked with:
`ps -ewo pid,class,rtprio,ni,pri,pcpu,stat,comm --sort -rtprio`
instead.

It looks like a new set of regexps for rtirq is in order ;)

This is
Linux soyuz 2.6.31-rc5-rt1.1 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Aug 5 23:06:21 CEST
2009 i686 GNU/Linux

# ps -eo pid,comm  | grep -i irq
    4 sirq-high/0
    5 sirq-timer/0
    6 sirq-net-tx/0
    7 sirq-net-rx/0
    8 sirq-block/0
    9 sirq-tasklet/0
   10 sirq-sched/0
   11 sirq-hrtimer/0
   12 sirq-rcu/0
  149 irq/9-acpi
  495 irq/14-ata_piix
  496 irq/15-ata_piix
  506 irq/16-yenta
  526 irq/12-i8042
  527 irq/1-i8042
 1418 irq/8-rtc0
 1428 irq/19-ehci_hcd
 1446 irq/16-uhci_hcd
 1447 irq/17-uhci_hcd
 1450 irq/18-uhci_hcd
 1452 irq/19-uhci_hcd
 1544 irq/29-iwl3945
22591 sirq-high/1
22592 sirq-timer/1
22593 sirq-net-tx/1
22594 sirq-net-rx/1
22595 sirq-block/1
22596 sirq-tasklet/1
22597 sirq-sched/1
22598 sirq-hrtimer/1
22599 sirq-rcu/1
22609 irq/17-HDA Inte
22610 irq/17-ohci1394
22952 irq/16-i915 at pci
22968 irq/28-eth1

Yes I'm also baffled at the high PIDs for IRQs. I hazard a guess that
those are a result of a suspend/resume cycle; and I'll check later if
the chrt settings do persist after a suspend/resume.

so long,
robin