[LAD] [LAU] Kim did the switch to Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Aug 8 10:18:48 UTC 2009

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 11:30:33AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>

>> Apropos wasting resources. A lot of Linux audio applications don't have
>> EQs by default for the channels of a mixer, we need to add 20 LADSPA EQs
>> to 20 channels. There might be OS X and Windows applications that come
>> with an EQ by default for every added channel. Do you think each time
>> you add a new channel, they also add a copy of the same EQ routine to
>> the RAM or do you think one routine for the EQ is shared by all
>> channels, one after the other, but anyhow with different EQ setting?
>>

> The code will be shared, and for a typical channel strip EQ
> it's  peanuts anyway. Then there's per-instance data which
> again for an normal EQ isn't anything to worry about.
> It's the GUI that takes up most of the resources. Most
> of the GUI code will be shared with other parts, but the
> data won't.
>
> Ciao,

Okay, this sounds plausible. I only wanted to point out, as I've written
in another mail, while you replied, that not everybody, but some people
have troubles because of resources, only when using Linux. There might
be different reasons for this, but it's a fact that this is a problem
and I guess this is something that could be fixed.

It's not very smart to compare different OSs and applications, I'm sorry
that I tend to do this. It would be better to describe some approaches
and to describe the good and bad experiences just for Linux applications.