[LAD] [LAU] Kim did the switch to Linux

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Aug 8 10:21:38 UTC 2009

On 08/08/2009 08:18 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 11:30:33AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>

>>> Apropos wasting resources. A lot of Linux audio applications don't have
>>> EQs by default for the channels of a mixer, we need to add 20 LADSPA EQs
>>> to 20 channels. There might be OS X and Windows applications that come
>>> with an EQ by default for every added channel. Do you think each time
>>> you add a new channel, they also add a copy of the same EQ routine to
>>> the RAM or do you think one routine for the EQ is shared by all
>>> channels, one after the other, but anyhow with different EQ setting?
>>>

>> The code will be shared, and for a typical channel strip EQ
>> it's  peanuts anyway. Then there's per-instance data which
>> again for an normal EQ isn't anything to worry about.
>> It's the GUI that takes up most of the resources. Most
>> of the GUI code will be shared with other parts, but the
>> data won't.
>>
>> Ciao,
>>

> Okay, this sounds plausible. I only wanted to point out, as I've written
> in another mail, while you replied, that not everybody, but some people
> have troubles because of resources, only when using Linux. There might
> be different reasons for this, but it's a fact that this is a problem
> and I guess this is something that could be fixed.

It's a fact that people complain about it and it is a problem for them
but it is not a fact that it is a problem with Linux or all Linux
software or the kernel or pretty much any of the most stable and mature
apps in the open source world.

> It's not very smart to compare different OSs and applications, I'm sorry
> that I tend to do this. It would be better to describe some approaches
> and to describe the good and bad experiences just for Linux applications.

Yes.

This is the correct way to approach Linux lists.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd