[LAD] [LAU] Kim did the switch to Linux

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Aug 8 10:18:04 UTC 2009

On 08/08/2009 08:10 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> Apropos wasting resources. A lot of Linux audio applications don't
>> have EQs by default for the channels of a mixer, we need to add 20
>> LADSPA EQs to 20 channels. There might be OS X and Windows
>> applications that come with an EQ by default for every added channel.
>> Do you think each time you add a new channel, they also add a copy of
>> the same EQ routine to the RAM or do you think one routine for the EQ
>> is shared by all channels, one after the other, but anyhow with
>> different EQ setting?
>>

> To be honest I don't know if LADSPA might be "intelligent" and does the
> same or maybe on other OSs it isn't the way I suspect that it is, but
> you very often can read, that Linux needs more resources, more RAM and
> CPU speed to do less than is possible on other OSs.

I don't think you read this about Linux per se. You will find this is
the case with some of the more immature software being distributed but
that happens on any platform. A lot of newbies will right of Linux
because they don't know how to make it work properly. There is certainly
a lot of information to understand before many things can be done in the
most efficient way possible. However that is the "problem" with open
source in general. In many ways it's about learning how to fish not
buying the fish.