[LAD] [LAU] Kim did the switch to Linux

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Aug 8 10:34:02 UTC 2009

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On 08/08/2009 08:10 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>>> Apropos wasting resources. A lot of Linux audio applications don't
>>> have EQs by default for the channels of a mixer, we need to add 20
>>> LADSPA EQs to 20 channels. There might be OS X and Windows
>>> applications that come with an EQ by default for every added channel.
>>> Do you think each time you add a new channel, they also add a copy of
>>> the same EQ routine to the RAM or do you think one routine for the EQ
>>> is shared by all channels, one after the other, but anyhow with
>>> different EQ setting?
>>>

>> To be honest I don't know if LADSPA might be "intelligent" and does the
>> same or maybe on other OSs it isn't the way I suspect that it is, but
>> you very often can read, that Linux needs more resources, more RAM and
>> CPU speed to do less than is possible on other OSs.
>

> I don't think you read this about Linux per se. You will find this is
> the case with some of the more immature software being distributed but
> that happens on any platform. A lot of newbies will right of Linux
> because they don't know how to make it work properly. There is
> certainly a lot of information to understand before many things can be
> done in the most efficient way possible. However that is the "problem"
> with open source in general. In many ways it's about learning how to
> fish not buying the fish.

I do agree and I don't agree :D. A friend draws comics and now he makes
videos, to enable people to learn how to do this, he does it gratis. He
is amazed about the latency on an OS, not Linux, that needs a software
extension to be capable for real-time. He is not someone who knows any
thing about audio. Whatever OS he'll use, he would run into troubles. 1.
I told him to use Linux and when he would not like to do this, because
of some reasons, I 2. told him to install the needed extension for the
OS he is using and he even won't do this. People who has got an
interested in audio will learn and do more than non-audio people, but
there's a limit for artists, not because of the knowledge, but because
of the time.