[LAD] Auto-wah plugin

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 11:52:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:04:13 +0200
<hollunder at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:55:36 +0200
> Renato <rennabh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:42:12 +0200
> > Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:

> > > Thanks ! It's a bit unfortunate you acted so quickly - the plugin
> > > is still in a 'beta' stage and following releases could well be
> > > incompatible. This is no big deal for people who install from
> > > source, but could generate some trouble for the others.

> > > How should this be split up ? AFAIK there's only one place to
> > > install LADPSA plugins, and the usual /usr or /usr/local
> > > separation is not used. But I could be wrong about this.
> > >

> > Well, I don't know about LADSPA plugins, but the fact is that in
> > Arch for building from source in a pacman-aware (pacman is Arch's
> > package manager) manner, you need the DESTDIR option... infact you
> > first install all the files with the exact same direcotry tree as
> > would do 'make install' but, instead of in root, in a working
> > directory... i.e. you do
> > 'make DESTDIR=/pathtotmpdir install'
> > Then you point pacman to /pathtotmpdir, so he knows what to install
> > and where on the system and keeps neatly track of it (you can then
> > easily remove the package).
> >
> > So for Archers the DESTDIR is important, but on the other hand it's
> > easy to patch a Makefile if it doesn't have the DESTDIR option, so
> > no real big problem for now... just a heads up for the future.

> > > Fine !
> > >
> > > Ciao,
> > >

> > ciao,
> > Renato
>
> Hi Fons.
> On Arch we use scripts to easily build packages from source and
> install those. The files get installed into a fakeroot environment,
> then it gets packaged. The DESTDIR variable points to the fakeroot.
> I patched a number of your applications makefiles to include DESTDIR
> but it would of course be more convenient if we wouldn't have to do
> so. I guess other package management systems use fakeroot as well and
> would also benefit.
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

Since I'm working on this, just one more thing: it would be great if
the tar.bz2 and the package in general would be called wah-plugins
instead of WAH-plugins; Arch doesn't support capital letters in
package's names, so I had to call it wah-plugins but then the
incosistency brings up some more (little) issues in packaging.

Renato