[LAD] Auto-wah plugin

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Aug 27 20:10:59 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 01:04:13PM +0200, hollunder at gmx.at wrote:

> Hi Fons.
> On Arch we use scripts to easily build packages from source and install
> those. The files get installed into a fakeroot environment, then it
> gets packaged. The DESTDIR variable points to the fakeroot.
> I patched a number of your applications makefiles to include DESTDIR
> but it would of course be more convenient if we wouldn't have to do so.
> I guess other package management systems use fakeroot as well and would
> also benefit.

I'll try to make life easy for packagers, but I can't promise
to accomodate all their wishes... For two reasons, first these
requirements may be conflicting, second I'm somewhat reluctant
to put things in e.g. Makefiles that I can't routinely test myself.
My primary concern for Makefiles is to ensure that an installation
from source works as expected. Which means using installation paths
based on $(PREFIX) taking into account 64-bit, etc. Your $(DESTDIR)
wants to override all of these, it's not very clear to me how to do
this.

There are also apps that will install into different places, e.g.
jkmeters installs a binary in $(PREFIX)/bin and some png files in
$(PREFIX)/share/jkmeters.

And to complicate things, the next release of TetraProc will use
$(PREFIX)/share/jkmeters as well, as it installs a subset of the
same png files, and I want them to be shared between all apps that
use them (and that number is bound to increase).

How would you handle this ?

Regarding the use of upper case, Unix and Linux do have case-sensitive
filenames. Any packaging system that tries to ignore that does so at
its own risk.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.