[LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Dec 2 20:58:21 UTC 2009

To recap from yesterdays discussions:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-------------------
Physical Size
-------------------

http://www.rittal.com/products/ArtikelDatenblatt.asp?ArtNr=1360500&lang=GB

600 mm x 600 mm x 350 mm

Hardware / Firmware / Software

- Linux firmware + netjack
upto 10 channels uncompressed via 100Mb ethernet
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=4102

- Linux firmware + ethernet, USB.
upto 10 channels uncompressed via 100Mb ethernet
upto 48 channels uncompressed via 480 MB USB (hah, yeah right)
http://www.bridgeco.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=37

- Manufacturer supplied firmware + ethernet AVB.
upto 100 channels via 1Gb ethernet
http://www.xmos.com/news/15-jun-2009/xmos-simplifies-ethernet-avb-implementation

- Manufacturer supplied firmware + firewire, ADAT,
64 channels onboard processing defined by spec
http://www.tctechnologies.tc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=10

-----------------
Connectivity
-----------------

100Mb ethernet. upto 10 uncompressed 32b float channels
1Gb ethernet. upto 100 uncompressed 32b float channels.

USB-2.0
ADAT
Firewire

-------------
Website
-------------

Need to define project vision, setup wiki, git-hub etc...

-------------
Funding
-------------

1: Due to the limitations on ROI we are looking at finding a solution to
the above that can be implemented for as little  cost as possible.

2: We can set up a pool to get contributions from the wider community if
we decide that we simply must work with technology that requires a large
financial commitment.

3: A handful of people donate money and release the result as open
source going against the capitalist ideal.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd