[LAD] Atomic Operations

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Dec 14 20:21:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Nick Copeland
<nickycopeland at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> guaranteed for 24 bits of a 32 bit value. funny old world, eh? :)
>
> Wasn't that just for 32 bit floats though? They were implemented as a
> structure
> that implied multiple write operations, they only garanteed the mantissa,
> not the exponent. I am pretty sure integer memory IO was guaranteed as that
> is where the 24 bits came from.

the kernel implementation of atomic integer writes suggested
otherwise, if my memory holds correct.
since the kernel doesn't have atomic float ops, and i did see kernel
code for this that noted
the issue, i think my memory is correct. but its been wrong so many
times before.