[LAD] LADI

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Dec 21 08:54:50 UTC 2009

On 12/21/2009 10:18 AM, torbenh wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 09:11:04PM +0100, rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> torbenh wrote:

>>> dunno... jack session is frozen now.
>>>

>> Torben, thanks for your reply.
>>
>> Can you, for the people who didn't follow the development of jack
>> session, shortly point out what jack session does.
>>
>> 1) What do you want to achieve with jack session.
>>
> session management ?
> load/save of whole jack graph .
>

>> 2) How do you think you are able to achieve it?
>>
> with very few exceptions every app thats a target for session
> management, is a jack client.
> so why not add some callbacks, and let the sessionmanager
> communicate with apps via jack ?
>
> this basically reduces the size of the app patches.
> allowing me to patch at least one app per hour.
>

>> 3) Why do you think this is the best way to do it?
>>
> every app is already using jack IPC to communicate with jackd.
> ->  minimally invasive on the app.
> no reinvention of the wheel or yet another IPC mechanism to add.
>
> anyways... effort is frozen.
> we are dumping a working implementation.

I don't understand why you have made this decision.

The basic framework that you have implemented will be very useful for a
large subset of the requirements of a session management system. In may
be more than enough for 95% of normal users to get things done.

If people need to take things further they have the option of using LADI
or waiting for Fon's to release his work.

There was only one person who categorically said they wouldn't be able
to work with your additions and he is already making his own system anyway.

I would like to see your work included as an option as that would also
give Nedko (and maybe even Fons) an opportunity to extend and integrate
their efforts to work with yours.

Wholesale writing off your efforts simple because the debate got heated
seems unnecessary to me.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd