[LAD] [ANN] aseqmm 0.2.0 released

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 18:52:21 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, December 29, 2009, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On 12/30/2009 12:39 AM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> > On Tuesday, December 29, 2009, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> i notice that SDLmm has not had a commit in nearly a year, and appears
> >> to have been named under a similar belief as your own.
> >
> > Is it about belief? There is something about that in the Universal
> > Declaration of Human Rights. Article 18: "Everyone has the right to
> > freedom of thought, conscience and religion". I would also add the GUI
> > toolkit and frameworks.
> >
> > Maybe you know the text of a Law, or a sacred text source of the absolute
> > truth, where it is stated that a library name ending in "mm" must not be
> > used by those not belonging to the congregation of true believers, under
> > pain of heresy ?
>
> I think it is more about the numbers game. Basically there is a pattern
> that has been established by developers who have chosen to end their
> apps names with mm. Your app falls outside of the pattern so it may be
> confusing for people who come across it to learn that it is not adhering
> to the pattern.

You are right, of course it is about numbers. There is a majority of people
imposing their point of view over a single one, that is alone and looks easy
to beat.

I can understand the frustration of a confused victim that reads "aseqmm" and
thinks it is something different of what it really is, then he reads the
description that says "This library is a C++ wrapper around the ALSA library
sequencer interface, using Qt4 objects, idioms and style". This poor victim
must be protected, even if that means stoning me preventively.

So, I am thinking about changing the name of the library for "Lapidation" in
the next release. It will be interesting to write a little chapter for the
documentation, explaining the name's history and why it had to be changed.
What do you think?

> An analogy could be a sushi restaurant called "Bobs meat extravaganza".
> Technically they do serve some meat in the restaurant but it's probably
> going to be confusing for those who like to consume copious amounts of
> beef.

I don't imagine a crowd of angry people complaining the restaurant's owner to
force him to change the name. If you don't like the meal or the name, you
should avoid dinning there. That's all.

I feel part of the community of Linux Audio Developers. I know that there is a
majority using certain toolkits and technologies, they are different to mine.
I'm alone or among a little minority. And so what? Are we developers or
sheep?

Regards,
Pedro