[LAD] [ANN] aseqmm 0.2.0 released

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Dec 30 01:34:49 UTC 2009

On 12/30/2009 05:52 AM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 29, 2009, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>>> Is it about belief? There is something about that in the Universal
>>> Declaration of Human Rights. Article 18: "Everyone has the right to
>>> freedom of thought, conscience and religion". I would also add the GUI
>>> toolkit and frameworks.
>>>
>>> Maybe you know the text of a Law, or a sacred text source of the absolute
>>> truth, where it is stated that a library name ending in "mm" must not be
>>> used by those not belonging to the congregation of true believers, under
>>> pain of heresy ?
>>>
>> I think it is more about the numbers game. Basically there is a pattern
>> that has been established by developers who have chosen to end their
>> apps names with mm. Your app falls outside of the pattern so it may be
>> confusing for people who come across it to learn that it is not adhering
>> to the pattern.
>>
> You are right, of course it is about numbers. There is a majority of people
> imposing their point of view over a single one, that is alone and looks easy
> to beat.
>
> I can understand the frustration of a confused victim that reads "aseqmm" and
> thinks it is something different of what it really is, then he reads the
> description that says "This library is a C++ wrapper around the ALSA library
> sequencer interface, using Qt4 objects, idioms and style". This poor victim
> must be protected, even if that means stoning me preventively.

Probably a more likely scenario is that a user who is knowledgable in
such things will read the description and think "Hmmm, that's a strange
name for such a library, I wonder what other interesting design choices
have been made".

Btw, you are free to perceive this as constructive feedback or simply
criticism. I have no intent on the latter though.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd