[LAD] Developers section @ linuxmusicians.com

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jan 2 14:45:35 UTC 2009

Bob Ham wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 13:05 +0100, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>

>> A couples months ago we started a forum at linuxmusicians.com .
>>

> I had a quick look and it seems like a valuable site.  However, I
> noticed that the Linux Distributions & Other Software section has the
> following description:
>
> "What other apps and distros do you use to round out your home studio?"
>
> I wouldn't assume that Linux is used solely in home studios.  It seems
> to be enjoying increased usage in commercial audio products.  There are
> also numerous academic environments using Linux for music-related
> teaching.  I don't personally know of any commercial studios that use
> Linux desktops but I certainly wouldn't assume there were none.  In
> fact, that assumption and the above description seem quite
> counter-productive, particularly for those with the goal of supporting
> development by providing services to commercial studios.
>
> Might I recommend removing the word "home" from the description?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob

Hi Bob :)

I think it's relevant to ask for "studios in the box". Independently if
Linux is used in professional studios or not, the usage for a home
recording studio differs to that of a professional studio. Professional
studios seldom are using a studio in the box, they will use the computer
with lots of stand alone equipment. Home recording studios often have
stand alone equipment too, but because of various reasons a lot of work,
that is made with stand alone equipment in a professional studio, is
done with the studio in the box at home.

I guess some professional studios e.g. are using the Korg OASIS Linux,
but it will be more helpful to know about FLOSS combinations, that might
help everyone of us, having a home recording studio based on Linux.

I'm out of the "really" professional studio world since years, but some
years ago, the usage of computers in studios that produce the charts and
make soundtracks for Hollywood, wasn't the home recorders "studio in the
box"-usage-way. I guess a professional studio that is producing radio
jingles and stuff like that can be called home recording studio too.

Maybe just asking for "home recording" isn't that good, but a request
for "studios in the box" is more what we need.

Happy New Year!
Ralf