[LAD] Saving plugin presets

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Sat Jan 17 17:43:30 UTC 2009

Sebastian Moors schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> i would like to know if somebody has already thought about a (unified)
> way to save or export the settings of ladspa  plugins (or vst,lv2..)
> I'm familiar with the idea of LASH, but i want to share plugin settings
> between different sessions. A typical use case:
>
> After recording songs with my drumset, the gate-plugin applied to
> basedrum and snare has most times (nearly) the same setting.
> At the moment this is a quite painful task: Ardour is able to save the
> settings,  but you can't export these or exchange them between other
> applications.
> In addition, ardour's ladspa plugin dialog can just save the settings,
> changing an already saved settings is not possible. This results in a
> heap of saved settings and old revisions..
>
> It would be great to export these settings, it could be implemented as a
> feature in applications like ardour2 ,jackrack or hydrogen.
> After exporting the setting to a plain text file (or xml), sharing the
> file with other people or between your computer would be no problem.
>
> What are your thoughts on this? What are the disadvantages?

I would love to see that too. I would say its enough to agree on the conventions
(format and place in filesystem) and add them as a comment to the ladspa header.
In GStreamer we have a preset interface [1] for plugin and I would like to
implement that for the ladspa wrapper then. The default implementation of the
iface uses GKeyfile as a storage backend (like windows ini files). The
implementation [2][3] handles system wide data in e.g. /usr/share/ladspa and
user data in $HOME/.ladspa/.

Stefan

[1]http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/GstPreset.html
[2]http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/gst/gstpreset.c?view=markup