[LAD] help on creating MIDI from linux input events

Miguel Morales therevoltingx at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 09:56:25 UTC 2009

Hello Renato,
This should be fairly easy to do using RT Midi (
http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~gary/rtmidi/<http://www.music.mcgill.ca/%7Egary/rtmidi/>
)
Since there is a driver for it, you should be able to use it as an alsa midi
device.  There are a few ways to route alsa midi to jack midi.  I personally
recommend that you use the ALSA midi because more applications support it,
and routing it to jack midi is fairly easy.  (so I hear, but I've never had
a need.)

I've actually made a program that takes events from a usb midi device (PCR
M80) and turn them into MIDI CCs.  Basically it reads a file that 'maps'
events from the device to controller change events (outputting notes is
fairly trivial using RT Midi).  With qjackctl I route it jack-rack or
rakarrack or gmidimonitor to test it.  You can find it here:
http://bh_x.webs.com/x-11-mm.tar.gz

I know RT Midi is C++, but it's really easy to use.