[LAD] Linux-audio-dev Digest, Vol 29, Issue 7

Jeff McClintock jef at synthedit.com
Wed Jul 8 21:30:58 UTC 2009

Hi Chris,

> > " 3.4 ?Install any non side-by-side shared files to the correct
> locations

> I've only just got around to reading this properly, but it seems to be
> saying the opposite of what you said -- it seems to be saying that
> components that are shared across multiple vendors (such as audio
> plugins of this type, presumably) may indeed be placed in the system
> directory.  Am I reading it wrong?

"to ensure backward compatibility"

i.e. The old way was to write dlls to the system directory.  This is the
cause of 'dll hell' - updating one application breaks another.  Windows now
bends over backward to avoid this.
 The new way is 'side-by-side' system components where each version gets
it's own directory. Virtualization ensures each application uses the version
is was originally written with.

Side-by-side doesn't apply to application plugins I think, more intended for
operating system components.

Shared plugins go in "../Program Files/Common Files/"

Best Regards,
Jeff