[LAD] jack for windows compared to linux

victor Victor.Lazzarini at nuim.ie
Mon Jun 1 14:07:14 UTC 2009

I only found out a couple of weeks ago that OSX (10.4) seems to
be OK with weak-linking of modules. Csound has a plugin that is
linked to Jack and there seems to be no problem starting it
without the Jack framework present (the JackIO module just
isn't loaded, no more complaints). Note that the module is
linked normally to libjack (no extra options). This is great and
we will stop having to supply libjack with our package (which
Stephane has rightly criticised but I had no better solution in the
past).

On Windows, however, the situation appears to be different.
We get an annoying "could not find DLL" when we don't have
a dependency for one of our plugin modules. The sofware can
be run, but it's just annoying.

On Linux,it's much easier because the dependencis are just
packaged (RPM, .deb etc), so weak linking is not such an issue.

Regards

Victor

Well I also recently had this kind of "weak" link requirement for
libjack on Linux. I think OSX supports some kind of weak linking with
any compiled framework, but the situation is less clear on Windows on
Linux. A possible solution would be to provide a special
"libweakjack" library with the appropriate bahaviour for that.