[LAD] supporting a dedicated DSP chip with ALSA

Ziv Haziz Ziv.Haziz at dspg.com
Sat Jun 6 19:45:08 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Davis [mailto:paul at linuxaudiosystems.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2009 10:16 PM
To: Ziv Haziz
Cc: linux-audio-dev at lists.linuxaudio.org
Subject: Re: [LAD] supporting a dedicated DSP chip with ALSA

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Ziv Haziz<Ziv.Haziz at dspg.com> wrote:

> If I declare my plugin as control

>LADSPA has no such concept. You can have a plugin with zero or more
>ports of any type. Now ... what the host does is rather independent.
>For example, if you have a plugin with no audio inputs or outputs, it
>will be hard for any host to find a place to use it.
are you familiar with a plugin that has similar functionality? One I can use as reference?

>only will I get all the information  such
> as rate, format, etc… like a driver and will the frames will be passed to
> the driver directly?

>There is only one audio format within LADSPA (this is also true of VST
>and several other plugin APIs): 32 bit floating point, with the
>convention that it is normalized to -1 .. +1
I saw in a link of ALSA Wiki that there are several formats http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/PCM
I know jackd is working one format just as use said - but this is stage two

>The host will configure the plugin with the sample rate and any other
>required data. You will still need to provide a process method in the
>plugin, but it can do nothing.
ok I think I got it - the plugin will get both data and settings but will pass the data as is (not do anything in the process method) this way I will extract only the settings without interfering with the data. Nice idea.
DSP Group, Inc. automatically scans all emails and attachments using MessageLabs Email Security System.