[LAD] supporting a dedicated DSP chip with ALSA

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Jun 6 19:15:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Ziv Haziz<Ziv.Haziz at dspg.com> wrote:

> If I declare my plugin as control

LADSPA has no such concept. You can have a plugin with zero or more
ports of any type. Now ... what the host does is rather independent.
For example, if you have a plugin with no audio inputs or outputs, it
will be hard for any host to find a place to use it.

>only will I get all the information  such
> as rate, format, etc… like a driver and will the frames will be passed to
> the driver directly?

There is only one audio format within LADSPA (this is also true of VST
and several other plugin APIs): 32 bit floating point, with the
convention that it is normalized to -1 .. +1

The host will configure the plugin with the sample rate and any other
required data. You will still need to provide a process method in the
plugin, but it can do nothing.