[LAD] jack2's dbus name

Stéphane Letz letz at grame.fr
Mon Jun 15 09:01:54 UTC 2009

Le 15 juin 09 à 01:14, Lennart Poettering a écrit :

> Hmm,
>
> I was just thinking, when jack2 finished initialization it takes a
> name on the session bus, right?

Not sure about what you mean by " it takes name on the session bus". I
hope Nedko can answer better here.

What is implemented right now is the acquire/release scheme based on
your reserver.h,c code. This is done in the ALSA backend.

> If that's the case then I could hack up a little module in PA that
> will autoload the JACK connectivity modules as soon as jack becomes
> available. That way we could make the integration between PA and JACK
> a bit closer. Together with the device reservation logic we already
> have in place we could then have out-of-the-box user experience that
> would work like this:
>
> As soon as jack starts up and takes posession of the device, the hw
> device will appear grayed out in pa's volume control, however a new
> virtual device for connectivity with jack appears in the vc. Data
> written to that device will be passed to JACK on a couple of
> ports. It's then up to the user if he wants to make use of those ports
> and connect them inside of jack or just leave them unconnected. (as
> far as I understood the mere existance of a port when it is
> unconnected has no detrimental effect on jack latency behaviour, does
> it?). As soon as JACK terminates the virtual JACK device in PA will go
> away again, and the hw device won't be greyed out anymore.
>
> That way the seperation line between PA clients and JACK clients would
> be blurred a bit.
>
> One could even go a step further and reroute all existing streams from
> the hw device to the virtual jack device, as long as it exists and
> back afterwards. That way starting up jack would have the effect that
> PA's own ALSA backend would simply be temporarily be replaced by
> JACK.
>
> Does that make sense to you?
>
> Lennart

Technically it "could" make sense, but I'm not sure JACK users want
that as the default behaviour. I would prefer if "real users" in JACK
and LAD communities could elaborate on that.

Stephane