[LAD] [RFC] LADSPA 1.2

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Jun 18 21:39:22 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:23:52PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:

> But if the plugin is v1.2 and the host is v1.1 doesn't this mean the host only
> used v1.1 at compile time? Then on copying the struct or on doing pointer-
> arithmetic it will only know the old size of the struct and definitely copy
> garbage or incomplete data for plugins of v1.2...
> Sounds pretty BIC to me.

Not that I would advocate adding things to the descriptor,
but this can't happen unless the host is broken anyway.

- if a host is 1.1 it will only copy the 1.1 parts,
- and not expect or use anything else.

It would only go wrong if a host would assume
that it can increment a descriptor pointer to
get the next one. But that would be illegal
anyway, as the plugin is not required to keep
descriptors in an array. It has to provide a
function returning an descriptor given an
index, and hosts are supposed to use that
and assume nothing else.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.