[LAD] [RFC] LADSPA 1.2

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Jun 18 21:23:52 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thursday 18 June 2009 23:16:53 Tim Goetze wrote:
> [Stefano D'Angelo]
> >Note: a weird host could copy make a copy of the descriptors (I see
> >nothing claiming this should not happen in the header file), thus ABI
> >would be broken... this could maybe happen in LADSPA hosts written in
> >non-C languages (why does Java come to my mind?).
> No, it's not a problem.  A host that does this is just treating the
> plugin as a 1.1 version and ignoring the extra fields of the struct,
> which is completely legal and causes no problems whatsoever.

But if the plugin is v1.2 and the host is v1.1 doesn't this mean the host only
used v1.1 at compile time? Then on copying the struct or on doing pointer-
arithmetic it will only know the old size of the struct and definitely copy
garbage or incomplete data for plugins of v1.2...
Sounds pretty BIC to me.

Arnold