[LAD] palm pre [was Re: [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Jun 24 02:51:46 UTC 2009

On 06/24/2009 09:26 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>>> Really? No Ardour on the Palm Pre? Now, thank you! I can just cancel my
>>> order and stick with the Treo which still is a single-tasking system. I
>>> mean: Hey, Ardour doesn't run on either device.
>>>

>> If/when jack is ported it will be possible to run ardour too. gtk2 is
>> supported and it is only a matter of time/money for other libs and
>> deps to be built out.
>>
>> However will it be viable to run jack on any mobile device?
>> PulseAudio is designed for mobile devices.
>
> It won't be viable for a handy or a toaster, but ...
> http://www.indamixx.com/

Nice plug.

The original indamixx was a tablet and the latest incarnation is a
netbook so while they are both portable devices they are not exactly
"mobile devices".

Lennart has addressed several issues with pulseaudio that the jack team
are unwilling to address (for good reasons) or unable to justify
prioritising.

Pulse Audio is chipping away at one side of the wall to make things
easier for normal users and that is an important contribution to the
audio infrastructure.

Jack has been well tested and received in the professional audio domain.

Getting both systems to work well together is really the most viable
option from the users pov.

That way each group can maintain there own level of control without
having to debate every aspect of the infrastructure ad infintum.

As Lennart is being paid for his time and his job security is dependant
on him achieving his targets that is an important consideration for him
and it most others are in similar positions.

It would be helpful if things that could make a big impact will
continued to be discussed within the LAD community. However this is a
difficult situation. No matter if the discussions are starting prior to
implementation or post implementation the general direction of the
arguments tend to be quite emotional.

Is it just because audio guys have a bit more artistic temperament than
most other developers?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd