[LAD] palm pre [was Re: [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!]

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jun 24 05:34:37 UTC 2009

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On 06/24/2009 09:26 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>>> If/when jack is ported it will be possible to run ardour too. gtk2
>>> is supported and it is only a matter of time/money for other libs
>>> and deps to be built out.
>>>
>>> However will it be viable to run jack on any mobile device?
>>> PulseAudio is designed for mobile devices.
>>
>> It won't be viable for a handy or a toaster, but ...
>> http://www.indamixx.com/
>>

> Nice plug.
>
> The original indamixx was a tablet and the latest incarnation is a
> netbook so while they are both portable devices they are not exactly
> "mobile devices".

Ah, okay, I translated from English into German without thinking :D, on
German a 'mobile device' means the same as on English, but the English
word 'mobile' on German is 'Handy'.

> [snip]
>
> Is it just because audio guys have a bit more artistic temperament
> than most other developers?

A rhetorical questions is including the answer.

I'm a user and I'm only interested in JACK and ALSA, maybe because I
haven't the knowledge to realize the advantages of Pulse Audio or maybe
because it's applicable what I'm thinking, because of my experiences.

If all sides that are involved in rtkit, dbus, pulse audio (or
completely other issues) discussions would explain there standpoints to
users, answers might come spontaneous.

If there are different standpoints. Why not asking the users? A user
most times can't say something about explicit technical issues, but a
user can give answers about the usage.

I'm 100% sure that there are users with different needs, having
different opinions and they will argue because of their needs.

Developers are users too, but they are just a handfull off people and
they are deeply involved in their projects.

Imagine a policeman who's family was killed. Would it be wise to allow
him to do the investigations?

If I have guests and I like beer, I anyway will ask my guest if they
want wine or beer.

You should go and ask people in open forums, instead of asking
developers or even users in closed mailing lists. Maybe forums for audio
and multimedia users (and users are consumers and producers), not
especially for Linux users and don't ask them if they want JACK and/ or
ALSA, ask them what they want to do and what they need to do that.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Ralf