[LAD] Re : Saving plugin presets

Mon Mar 9 04:39:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 03:46 +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 01:55:33AM +0000, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
> > > The rdf file has been available for some years now.
> > > I don't want to split it up, it's simple enough
> > > to download it separately.
> >
> > That does not work very well with packages. If I have a package for each
> > of the plugin collections (which I do), where do I put the rdf file? (I
> > think I have it somewhere but I forget where...)
>
> In all of them ? But that could lead to overwriting
> it with on older version.

You can't do that. Or to be more precise, it is possible to have the
exact same file in several packages but then it has to be the _exact_
same file and a change in _one_ package will break the upgrade process
with a file conflict. There is no substitute to having a file that
describes the plugins that belong to that package. Then they can all be
upgraded separately, etc, etc, it is the way to go.

> Anyway the plugins sets will be re-organised some
> time in the not to distant but also not to near
> future into just two packages: synth modules, and
> all the others.

Oh... well... changing package names is fun! (obsoleting and providing
the old package name, etc, etc - but I think most of the plugins have
actually migrated from Planet CCRMA to Fedora, so it is going to be
somebody else's problem! :-)

-- Fernando