[LAD] [LAU] Join the Debian Multimedia Team! (to improve the state of Linux audio)

MarcO'Chapeau marco at marcochapeau.org
Mon Mar 9 11:12:38 UTC 2009

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:25:38 -0400, "Ivica Ico Bukvic" <ico at vt.edu> wrote:
> I think you are missing my point. I am not proposing to start a replica
of
> the Debian Multimedia initiative under the auspices of linuxaudio.org.
> Rather, I am proposing that their efforts are somehow integrated into
> linuxaudio.org online resources, whether that be via a webpage that
> provides
> additional info on the initiative, mirroring of packages, dev mailing
list,
> etc.
>
> Ultimately, the goal is to minimize fragmentation of supporting
information
> and therefore improve ability to cross-pollinate latest findings (e.g.
> troubleshooting particular rt-kernel release, compile issues on certain
> platforms, etc.), minimize redundancy, improve cross-distro transparency.

Hey Ico,

I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean. While I would
encourage the people from the Debian Multimedia Team to subscribe to a list
like linux-audio-tuning to discuss tuning issues and grab ideas from here,
I don't see how we could provide mirroring or any kind of services like
this (we have limited resources), and even if we could, I don't see why
*we* should do it.

If I understood the original mail correctly, this initiative is meant to be
integrated to *Debian*, and is meant to make the *Debian* distro better,
because it is *Debian* which has issues with linux-audio. Why should
linux-audio chime in ?

Cheers,

Marc-Olivier Barre.
------