[LAD] [LAU] Join the Debian Multimedia Team! (to improve the state of Linux audio)

Grammostola Rosea rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 11:42:14 UTC 2009

MarcO'Chapeau wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:25:38 -0400, "Ivica Ico Bukvic" <ico at vt.edu> wrote:
>
>> I think you are missing my point. I am not proposing to start a replica
>>
> of
>
>> the Debian Multimedia initiative under the auspices of linuxaudio.org.
>> Rather, I am proposing that their efforts are somehow integrated into
>> linuxaudio.org online resources, whether that be via a webpage that
>> provides
>> additional info on the initiative, mirroring of packages, dev mailing
>>
> list,
>
>> etc.
>>
>> Ultimately, the goal is to minimize fragmentation of supporting
>>
> information
>
>> and therefore improve ability to cross-pollinate latest findings (e.g.
>> troubleshooting particular rt-kernel release, compile issues on certain
>> platforms, etc.), minimize redundancy, improve cross-distro transparency.
>>

> Hey Ico,
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you mean. While I would
> encourage the people from the Debian Multimedia Team to subscribe to a list
> like linux-audio-tuning to discuss tuning issues and grab ideas from here,
> I don't see how we could provide mirroring or any kind of services like
> this (we have limited resources), and even if we could, I don't see why
> *we* should do it.
>
> If I understood the original mail correctly, this initiative is meant to be
> integrated to *Debian*, and is meant to make the *Debian* distro better,
> because it is *Debian* which has issues with linux-audio. Why should
> linux-audio chime in ?

Contributing to the Debian Multimedia Team will not only make the Debian
distro better, but also Ubuntu (studio), 64studio, Musix, Sidux and
other derivatives! Notice for instance the fact that packages in Debian
unstable will hit Ubuntu too.

However, maybe the question is how linuxaudio.org can support and
stimulate people and teams to become a package maintainer for a audio or
multimedia packages. I focus mainly on Debian and derivatives, but I can
imagine other projects for Fedora and OpenSuse for instance, also could
use some package maintainers.

I say

'one artist, one package' ;)

or

'one linux audio user, one audio package' ;)

\r