[LAD] Presenting volume control sliders

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu May 21 21:03:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 09:27:41PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> From reading through the ALSA drivers I know that a lot of sound card
> mixer controls usually have a much higher dB resolution near 0dB then
> the have near -90dB. Most of the time the steps they choose are very
> arbitrary however.

With many cards the gain control provided by the HW
mixer is not meant c.q. not usable as volume control,
but just as a means to match the card to the external
hardware - to ensure that the maximum digital level more
or less corresponds to the maximum analog level expected
externally.

Given the arbitrary steps some HW provides, a 'master
volume control' can often be much better implemented in
software, leaving the HW's gain setting for a one-time
adjustment only.

Of course this doesn't work with really low-fi cards
that produce so much noise or interference that you
have no choice but using the analog gain if you want
low listening levels.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.