[LAD] Presenting volume control sliders

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue May 26 12:16:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 3:53 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:

> By 'monitoring' here I mean the main studio monitors.
> You should be able to listen to various things (including
> monitor sends for musicians), and switch between them
> easily and without interrupting the normal program flow.
> Setting this up in a convenient way is currently near
> impossible in Ardour.

Just create your sessions with a control outs bus (its in the advanced
settings section of the new session dialog). You can then switch the
solo model to "solo via bus", and get something extremely close to a
traditional "listen bus".

> Have a look at what is provided in this area by some
> 'real' mixers, and ask the people who use them why
> these things are what they are, and rather essential.

and if you have a look at those "real" mixers you will notice that
front-of-house/live-mixing desks are designed in quite different ways
than the ones designed for use in a control room. soloing and muting
in an FOH context can (by choice of the engineer) be very different
from the way it works in a recording studio. there are two entirely
different commercial markets for that stuff, and although its
"trivially easy" to implement both designs in software, figuring out
how to merge them into a coherent single beast is not.

there have been lots of discussions about this on IRC in recents weeks
in the context of 3.0, and things will be a bit different there.