[LAD] supporting a dedicated DSP chip with ALSA

Jussi Laako jussi at sonarnerd.net
Sat May 30 10:28:00 UTC 2009

Ziv Haziz wrote:
> i'm seeking an advise on the preferred way to support a dedicated DSP
> chip under ALSA.

Unfortunately ALSA is pretty bad on abstracting anything else except PCM
streaming and MIDI.

For ages I have been concerned about how to support hardware accelerated
(DSP) 3D audio. OpenSL ES seems to be the only option at the moment.

> The DSP core is capable of both playing both encoded streams (mp3, wma,
> various voice coders) and of course PCM streams.
> the codec (a2d, d2a) are  connected to DSP.

I think you might have better luck by using OpenMAX[1], it has been
designed for this kind of use.

	- Jussi

[1] http://www.khronos.org/openmax/