[LAD] State of Plugin API's

David Robillard dave at drobilla.net
Sun Nov 1 21:27:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 21:36 +0100, hollunder at gmx.at wrote:
> Dave,
> here are some observations I and probably many others made:
>
> 1) hosts are slow at picking up extensions <for some reason>

Takes time, effort.

> 2) hosts mostly use just slv2 <for some reason>

Takes less time, less effort.

> 3) plugin authors are reluctant to write extensions <for some reason>

Takes time, effort.

> 4) a number of plugin authors wrote their own hosts <for some reason>

There weren't many at the time, had to be done (chicken & egg), having
multiple implementations (not all slv2) was considered a good thing.
You can't claim 2 and 4 both as bad things :P

> So what is your variant?

Time, effort.  Clearly. :)

The rest is just excuses, really.  What is the point in sitting here and
hypothesizing about what hypothetical problems might be deterring
hypothetical unnamed developers?  This kind of braindead dead-end
mailing list babble is exactly why LV2 has to be extensible in this way
- the people who are actually about to do anything useful don't get
bogged down by all the noise.

There are simple, clearly defined, real, and solvable problems and tasks
to do.  Props to Patrick for actually stepping forward and offering to
help with one of them.  If more people would pick an actual, concrete
problem and take it upon themselves to help out with it, then we'd be
set...

-dr