[LAD] Help to choose an audio library for a project

Dan Mills dmills at exponent.myzen.co.uk
Sat Nov 7 16:49:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 17:33 +0100, Ludovic RESLINGER wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm student in computer science and for one of my projects, I
> would like to program an audio player.
>
> The player will be developed for GNU/Linux environment but I would like
> to use an audio library which permit a portability for Windows and
> MacOS X too.
>
> The player will must read files in wav, MP3 and OGG/vorbis (at first)
> and it will have an equalizer.

For file reading, libsndfile will handle everything except the mpeg
formats (patent issues), which you can handle with libmad, for audio IO
I would probably go with portaudio, and for the equaliser just grab the
code from one of the SWH LADSPA pligins and extract what is needed.

The audio part should take less then a day to write (Mostly copy and
paste), the gui will (as usual) take somewhat longer.

Regards, Dan.