[LAD] How to develop guis for LV2?

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabriel at teuton.org
Sun Nov 8 12:35:51 UTC 2009

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Nedko Arnaudov wrote:

>>    + The plugins may provide a GUI interface.  Its width will be
>>      200, 400, 600, or 800 pixels.  Its height will be a multiple
>>      of 100 pixels.
>
> I don't get why such restriction is needed.

So that the host application can lay out the plugin widgets cleanly.[1]

+---------+----------+----------+----------+
| Foomatic Synth     | Reverb   | O-Drive  |
| () () ---|----     | --|----  | ()   ()  |
| () () [1:Buzz    ] | ()  ()   | ()   ()  |
+--------------------+----------+----------+
| LinuxSampler () () () () () () () () ()  |
| [16: Piano      ] ------|-- () () () ()  |
| --|------ () () ()                       |

After reading your comments, I suppose I was thinking of "internal" GUI's
where the widgets are layed out by the host application.  For example, if
I was writing an application, I couldn't use zynadd's UI because it's way
to large (both the overall size and the size of the widgets).

I (personally) really don't like having plugin windows flying all over the
place.  I think they should be layed out in the host application.  (And I
also think they should be widget-toolkit agnostic --
Qt/GTK/FLTK/whatever.)

Thanks,
Gabriel

p.s. I'm still digesting the rest of your post.

[1] After more thought, it would probably be best to drop the 600 width.