[LAD] Timers, hpet, hrtimer -> kind of solved (for too old motherboards)

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 14:14:10 UTC 2009

Philipp,

The alsa-lib source package comes with some test programs. One is called timer.c and can be compiled as well if you locally compile alsa-lib (no need to install, just compile):

cd alsa-lib-xxx
./configure
make
cd test
make timer

then, you can see what you have:

./timer list

and test some of them

./timer class=1 card=0 device=3  # that's the high res timer used by ALSA

(well, replace card by what makes sense to you, I personally do not have a hw:0, I reserve hw:0 for the onboard chip, which I disabled in the BIOS, so I use card=1, which is my PCI card).

class, sclass, device, etc are defined in the ALSA lib API doc.
class=1 is I think GLOBAL
sclass=-1 is slave class = NONE I think (not in front of the API doc).

device=3 seems to confirm what Clemens said about kernel reserved timers.

(when you list the timers with ./timer list, the GLOBAL ones will show up with a card=-1. Yet, to test them as I indicated above, you will need to invoke ./timer with card=X with X = some valid card index).

For the group permission, I am not sure this is needed. I did that because of some permission issue message I saw a long time ago. Not sure if this is relevant. Since I compiled my kernel with HR timer as default for ALSA, I guess all is fine, I do not need to invoke jackd with -ch, the hpet timer is used by default.

On the other hand, when I set rosegarden to use the HR timer, I get a complete total freeze of my system, nothing works at all, not even connecting to the machine remotely via LAN. Not sure what is going on here.

J.