[LAD] adding session notifications to jack

David Robillard dave at drobilla.net
Sun Nov 22 03:25:06 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 01:46 +0100, torbenh wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 07:30:02PM -0500, David Robillard wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 19:03 -0500, David Robillard wrote:
> > > Ah.  Maybe not very portable?
>
> well... commandline parameters are not totally portable, thats true.
> thats why i basically avoid to say that its commandline parameters.
> on windows or osx, it might be something different.
>
> also i dont have a restore callback.
> hmm... you proposed one int other mail i guess...

I assumed it was a possible value of jack_session_event_t, but I see
it's not.  n/m

> i also think that the restore event only makes things more complex.

It allows loading a different session without shutting down the app
entirely, but I guess that's no big loss.  Apps shouldn't take forever
to start up anyway :) (plus it's much more bug prone)

> > On second thought, I see the utility of command line stuff, though maybe
> > it should be sent as argc and argv for more portability and less
> > nuisance for apps that just want to pass them straight through? (no need
> > to assemble an actual command line string, which is both annoying and
> > not portable)
>
> on windows you only have an args string.
> however i dont see what an app which cant save its state. (iE
> jack_netsource, should do ?)

Not sure what you're getting at here.  Of course apps have to save their
state, that's the whole point?

> snprintfing some commandline string shouldnt be a problem at all.
> i dont see why this should be so complicated.

I don't think this makes it more complicated, but it does make it
portable, standard C, and makes sense for libraries/plugins; but I don't
really care enough to argue about it.  If jack_initialize and friends
took an argv that would be a strong argument for it, but they just take
an arbitrary string, so I guess that's an argument to use a string.  For
internal clients the returned string would not be a command line but the
argument to jack_initialize

-dr