[LAD] adding session notifications to jack

torbenh torbenh at gmx.de
Sun Nov 22 06:42:29 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:25:06PM -0500, David Robillard wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 01:46 +0100, torbenh wrote:
> > i also think that the restore event only makes things more complex.
>
> It allows loading a different session without shutting down the app
> entirely, but I guess that's no big loss.  Apps shouldn't take forever
> to start up anyway :) (plus it's much more bug prone)

i am getting dizzy when i think of ardour receiving reload this other
session event :)

> > > On second thought, I see the utility of command line stuff, though maybe
> > > it should be sent as argc and argv for more portability and less
> > > nuisance for apps that just want to pass them straight through? (no need
> > > to assemble an actual command line string, which is both annoying and
> > > not portable)
> >
> > on windows you only have an args string.
> > however i dont see what an app which cant save its state. (iE
> > jack_netsource, should do ?)
>
> Not sure what you're getting at here.  Of course apps have to save their
> state, that's the whole point?

netsource doesnt have code to save its state.
its state is completely described by its commandline.
and i guess there are some small apps which are the same.
but argv wouldnt change matters here.

what i find cumbersome, is that youd need to mess with argv also.
(consider running app bla.conf ... edit stuff... session save.
app would save <uuid>.conf into session dir. so the
correct startup is "app /path/to/<uuid>.conf"

> > snprintfing some commandline string shouldnt be a problem at all.
> > i dont see why this should be so complicated.
>
> I don't think this makes it more complicated, but it does make it
> portable, standard C, and makes sense for libraries/plugins; but I don't
> really care enough to argue about it.  If jack_initialize and friends
> took an argv that would be a strong argument for it, but they just take
> an arbitrary string, so I guess that's an argument to use a string.  For
> internal clients the returned string would not be a command line but the
> argument to jack_initialize
(or a string containing jack_load :)

--
torben Hohn