[LAD] [LAU] [ANN] LADI Session Handler - Preview 1

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 11:19:59 UTC 2009

2009/9/5 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>

> Ray Rashif wrote:
>
>> How could I forget - e17 actually has _a lot_ of potential. More than KDE
>> as a whole.
>>
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/E17_bw_screenshot.png
>>
>> But that's all it has - potential.
>>

> I'm an e17 and KDE user and IMHO you are wrong, just because KDE is stable
> and e17 very, very often is a PITA. I might be wrong, but I guess KDE is
> able to do nearly everything e17 could do + a little bit more. The only
> reason not to use KDE3 or KDE4 is the usage of resources by this DE. In
> addition I would suggest to use KDE with KWin and not a WM that needs
> proprietary graphics drivers. I'm only referring to the so called
> "pro-audio" usage.
>
> Ralf

I don't know what you're getting at, but I hope you understand the meaning
of "potential". It's evident that e17 has got it right especially when its
fancy graphical effects works smoothly on an AMD K6. That's a start, because
in that way we know nothing is choking (especially in KWin where there are
random artifacts if compositing is disabled). What I'm saying is that it
_can_ be comparable to KDE's usability, sometime in the future when it's
stable.

For now I have to keep LXDE as a secondary environment.

Anyway what WM needs proprietary graphics drivers?