[LAD] interesting blog post about syncing blender and ardour

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Sep 21 12:18:00 UTC 2009

2009/9/20 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>:
> Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>> http://www.jpbouza.com.ar/ESP2/tutoriales/gnulinux/blenderardour/id/en
>
> Half asleep I had a quick flip through the howto. It seems to add JACK
> transport support to Blender?! If so, Blender could be synced to other
> applications too, e.g. MIDI sequencers?! Anyway, I guess sync also
> should be possible by using an audio track of Blender for SMPTE, but I
> never tested Linux audio applications synced by SMPTE. Reading LTC,
> SMPTE seems to be possible with Linux and IMO this should be the normal
> way to sync an application like Blender or any other kind of video and
> animation software to any audio and other video equipment, imagine you
> want to mix 3D animations with "real" video recordings, by a Sony
> Betacam, Fastmachine etc. and other common equipment. A SMPTE track
> could sync to every equipment, hardware, software, video and audio,
> anyway an interesting information. Thank you.

SMPTE is a low resolution time code. There is no reason to be limited
by frame rates of 30 fps when defining a synchronization protocol
between applications running on the same (or even two networked)
computer(s). JACK transport is sample-accurate, and as such is
thousands of times more accurate than SMPTE. even if the final
destination of the work done in blender (et al) is going to present it
at approximately 30fps (+/- 6), i can't see any reason to use such a
limited timecode for this purpose.

obviously, supporting SMPTE timecode is still a good idea, but it just
doesn't seem ideal for this purpose at all.