[LAD] interesting blog post about syncing blender and ardour

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Sep 21 20:48:15 UTC 2009

Arnout Engelen wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 02:51:26PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
>> For video studios I guess SMPTE is the better choice. When I was working
>> with SMPTE I never had any trouble because of sync, it was accurate enough.
>>
>> It would be clever to use JACK transport internal Linux machines, but to
>> have the option to sync any equipment by SMPTE.
>>

> I could imagine a 'bridge' between SMPTE and Jack: you could have a Jack
> timebase client broadcasting an SMPTE track, or a Jack timebase master
> listening to an SMPTE track and keeping the Jack applications in sync with
> it.
>
> jackctlmmc.sf.net seems to do something similar for some MIDI timing.
>

> Beware I might be talking rubbish here though, I've never actually used
> SMPTE nor MMC :)
>

> Arnout

This isn't rubbish, but a good idea :). Btw. SMPTE is similar to MTC and
for MTC there are some strange behaviours known, e.g. MTC isn't fine
between a Sequential Studio 440 and an Atari ST running Cubase, while
both, the Studio and the Atari are fine with being in sync with other
equipment by MTC. For Linux I had this behaviour too. Some of my
equipment wasn't fine with Rosegarden, but with Ardour when synced by
MTC. I never found out why some equipment is fine when synced by MTC and
other equipment isn't fine, even if this equipment is fine with MTC in
combination with other equipment. Using SMPTE I never had this trouble,
but it was always the Atari that wrote and read the time code or it was
professional Sony and Bosch equipment. In addition a problem might be to
sync an external video signal to an internal video signal. For analog
audio signals sync isn't needed, for digital audio signals sync comes
automatically by e.g. SPDIF, but I don't know if and if so, how analog
or digital video signals can be synced for home equipment. For
professional Sony and Bosch equipment there are special sync
connections. For video cut it's not only important to have the scenes
synced, but also the signals.

Ralf