[LAD] "Open midi-keyboard"

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Sep 26 13:55:10 UTC 2009

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Soft synths can be made do to whatever you want :-)
> Release velocity adds a new expression possibility

I do agree, anyway it's seldom used.

> that could be interesting in particular for monophonic
> synths. And I'm contemplating writing one...

:)

> Another useful feature (already mentioned by another poster)
> would be a number of digital rotary encoders, and if you have
> any spare AD channels, analog control inputs.

Yes, rotary encoders or just faders would be good, but with the
possibility that they are easy to program for users, e.g. for SysEx,
e.g. automatic SysEx checksum. If there are some unused AD channels,
than input for drum pads, mics etc. might be nice, but not needed by a
master keyboard.

> About afterpressure, my SL880 only has this for the
> entire keyboard, not per key. It uses a pressure
> sensor strip running along the entire length, and
> is quite difficult to use as it is. Don't know if
> this is due to the sensor being too primitive, or
> to the processing in the SL880's tiny controller.

I've got one of the first DX7 (still in the metal case) and never wanted
a software update for the DX7. For a synthesizer (it's not a master
keyboard, even if I use it as my master keyboard) it has got the best
keyboard I know (there might be other synthesizers having better
keyboards). The channel aftertouch of the DX7 is very good for "normal"
usage. I can't remember how Yamaha did it for the DX7 and I won't open
the DX7, until the battery will be empty. It might be a problem for your
keyboard because it's a weighted keyboard and the mechanics might be to
complex for single keys to realize aftertouch as it can be realized for
simple keyboards. OR! it's just a software problem, that's why I
recommended to have different start levels for aftertouch. RTo have the
feeling of a real piano for the keys could conflict with pressure for
pushed keys. I could imagine that this might be a problem for weighted
keyboards in general, but I don't know.

Ralf