[LAD] successive note on midi events

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at comhem.se
Mon Apr 12 06:07:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-12 at 00:52 +0100, James Morris wrote:
> On Mon, April 12, 2010 00:38, James Morris wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm pretty sure I've seen this dealt with on the list before, but can't
> > find it.
> >
> > With the program I'm fumbling around trying to create, it will be possible
> > for successive note on events for the same pitch to occur without note off
> > events intervening.
> >
> > Does the MIDI spec allow such things?
>
> Sorry to answer myself so soon...
>
> I guess it is allowed. The simplest case being a sequencer outputting to
> the same channel and port as a keyboard player. Nothing can prevent this -
> right?

The question is what happens at the other end when a note gets struck a
second time.

a) Nothing, the note is already on.
b) Re-trigger, the voice is reset and the note gets played from the top
c) Trigger, a new voice is assigned and will play simultaneously to
previous voices

> And there's no way in the world that missing note-offs could be added in,
> in a fashion guaranteed to cover all possible permutations of connections,
> or without delaying the note-on which implies a missing note-off.

An all-notes-off will take care of any missing note-offs