[LAD] distros migrating to JACK2?

hermann brummer- at web.de
Sun Apr 18 10:42:45 UTC 2010

Ups, it go's offline wrong button. :-)

I don't understand all this trouble, we have the choice, no mater witch
distro we use and no mater witch version the distro use as default, we
could switch to the jack version we wont. That's what brings us in this
situation. Sometimes it need more or less work.
The question here is how it could make a bit easier for non advanced
users. But mostly, non advanced users didn't wont to change, may be they
wont to test it out, how the different is, because there is a choice.
On other OS's you didn't have this choice, you take what you can get and
be happy with that.
So this is on of the advance of linux, and one of the drawback.
Try to change that, is the same like go in the jungle and tell the
tiger's to be vegetarian now.

Anyway, come back to the debian related question, I see a chance to
rework the jackd package to make the structure a bit clearer and get rid
of the old multi packages for jack, switch to a binary and a dev
package. Chose the jackversion you wont, and let the switch to a other
version as a task to the advanced users.

hermann