[LAD] [Jack-Devel] distros migrating to JACK2?

Stéphane Letz letz at grame.fr
Mon Apr 19 06:31:15 UTC 2010

Le 19 avr. 2010 à 00:34, Paul Davis a écrit :

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 4:21 PM, rosea.grammostola
> <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This could all be true, but that's not the point I was talking about.
>> JACK2 was planned as successor of JACK1. But at some point that changed,
>
> No, Jack2 (then jackdmp) was not planned as a successor of Jack1.

It was jackdmp *then* jack2 ((-:

> It
> was initially planned as an alternate implementation and a playground
> to try out some ideas, mostly because Stephane didn't feel that it was
> going to be easy to do that with the existing C codebase of Jack (and
> I think that everybody else agreed with him about that).

The reasons for a new code base were multiple:

- after the initial "jack1on OSX work" , I has a good understanding of the C code, enough to think that going for the SMP *and* multi-platform support would be a nightmare... or would require huge rework, that was done in the C+ version indeed.

- they were some stability problems on OSX (like random crashes..) I could not find and fix. The kind of crash I usually describe as coming from "too complex and non understandable code"

- they were some subtle bugs in the C code (like memory leaks in jack port management because of this double sever side/client side management, some shared memory issue.. some more i don't remember right now)

The C++ code base then has been improved by a lot of people, Michael Voigt did a lot of work to improve multi-platform support (for his L4/drop port), Tim Blechmann simplified the C++ class hierarchy and did optimization everywhere, Nedko added the control API and D-Bus support in *pure* C with his own naming conversion (so this can even be done..), Devin Anderson added some MIDI related code.... etc...

> *Later*, we
> agreed that Jack2 would become the successor of Jack1.

Stephane