[LAD] A small article about tools for electronic musicians

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Wed Apr 28 09:48:36 UTC 2010

Hi,

> Hey guys!
>
> Read it here:
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_electronic
> <http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_electronic>
>
> Any comments are welcome.
Just a couple of points.

You write: "[...] by an electronic musician I mean a person who needs
fancy effects and whose work relies more on manipulating sound rather
than actually playing notes and just getting them together. A modern
electronic composer heavily relies on chains of effects which allow him
to work with the sound in a flexible and imaginative way."

I don't share that point of view. Although I understand that the concept
of 'electronic musician' is very ambiguous. Any 'musician' now-a-days
has to deal with 'electronics' (computers)... In the same way the
interpretation of the definition of 'electronic music' spans from
dance-like music with an 'electronic' flavour to what some would call
'electronic art music'.

In general I can see a point in being as extreme as considering only two
applications, but I find the 'they have nice polished gui, so they are
cool' approach a little simplistic. Nothing against polished guis :)

Lorenzo