[LAD] Kernel Opinions: .31-rt or .33-rt?

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 18:51:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, torbenh wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:27:07AM -0500, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone out there have an opinion on linux kernel 2.6.31-rt vs.
>> 2.6.33-rt for audio?
>
> i am in the process of updating.
> had some problems with udev not creating device nodes for my HD
> partitions.

IDE, SCSI, or both?

> i think i solved them. (didnt reboot yet)
> make sure the deprecated sysfs interface is off.
>
> CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2

Thanks for the tip.

FWIW, I built 2.6.33.2-rt13 by tweaking the current
Debian/experimental build system.  So far it's been working
fine for me on two different Ubuntu-based, 32-bit, x86
systems.

Things I've noticed:

   * The fan seems to run less often (good, it was
     running too often before).

   * 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' doesn't show the actual current
     clock speed without loading in some other modules.

I haven't put it through its paces on RT audio, yet.

-gabriel