[LAD] Fwd: Claim: Microsoft Pressured Digidesign to Deny Support of GNU/Linux

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Aug 30 01:58:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+la at mega-nerd.com> wrote:

> The reponses to that post are all very keen on the idea of having
> the Digidesign software and hardware available for Linux. They are
> also spot on that once the Digidesign stuff is running on Mac OSX,
> the move to Linux would be relatively simple.

this whole story seems very unlikely to me.

its *not* simple to port from OS X to Linux. if you use OpenGL that
helps quite a bit, but the
audio infrastructure is quite different.

its also ridiculous to comment on OS X "moving away from its Unix
heritage". OS X is still based on Darwin which is still as close to
its "unix heritage" (or as far away) as it ever was.

this doesn't mean that i think that they do not have PT running on
Linux BUT note that Digidesign (the brand is going away, its "Avid"
more and more) have been using Linux for some of their products for
some time now. they had a server/FTP product for sharing audio that
has run on Linux since it was released.

whoever posted this is likely an example of a number of my audio
engineer friends: they know just enough about computers for their
knowledge to be dangerous, and confusing.